Many people report experiencing relief from such things as: chronic pain, osteoarthritis, joint inflammation, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, bursitis, and tendonitis.
MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is an organic form of sulfur that is biologically active. It appears in all living organisms in nature. Sulfur is the third most abundant mineral in our bodies. It is found in skin, bones and muscular tissue.
- MSM is a strong antioxidant, capable of neutralizing free radicals. MSM greatly increases the ability of cells to excrete toxic waste products and many health practitioners say that MSM is the most powerful detoxifying agent they have ever used.
- You need a sufficient amount of MSM in your diet for your body to produce glutathione, which is absolutely essential for removal of any toxins or heavy metals that you may be exposed to.
- MSM is also one of the few antioxidants that can cross the blood-brain barrier to prevent and repair oxidative damage.
- MSM has been found to fight inflammation resulting from autoimmune attacks on the body…significantly reducing pain and stiffness.
- Many people report MSM gives them relief from such things as: chronic pain, osteoarthritis, joint inflammation, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, bursitis, and tendonitis.
- Another unusual finding showed MSM to be anti-parasitic against Giardia, Trichomonas, roundworms, nematodes, enterobius and other intestinal worms after two to three weeks of usage.
This naturally active form of sulfur has great therapeutic properties and is found in many natural sources such as fresh fruits and vegetables (freshly picked), seawater and raw milk. Due to depleted soils and most modern day food processing (foods that are heated, frozen or transported over long distances), there is a chronic loss of available MSM in our foods.
A too low concentration of MSM in the body (often seen with increasing age or immune dysfunctions) may result in tissue and organ malfunction, fatigue and increased susceptibility to illness such as IBS, chronic pain, muscular skeletal system disorders, muscle spasms, leg cramps, candida albicans and allergy.
MSM, in the supplement form, may use one of two methods of purification.
Distillation of MSM is the superior method by far. If you use the MSM that has used crystallization for its purification method, there may be existing impurities that could cause adverse reactions.
In 1965, Dr. Chancy appeared before the first New York Academy of Sciences Symposium on DMSO… proclaiming, “Rarely has a new drug came to the attention of the scientific community with so much verifiable information from so many parts of the world.” Those remarks were true in part, however, in spite of the reported good results, DMSO is known to be linked with many seriously harmful side effects.
Distilled MSM, on the other hand, is a form of Sulphur found naturally in the body. MSM has been found to have all the wonderful qualities attributed to DMSO without the side effects other than some rare minimal side effects such as gastric problems or headache…even when prescribed in larger amounts.
One thing to remember is that MSM needs to be replenished throughout the day; so the supplement form should be taken two to three times daily.
Be sure to discuss the use of any new supplements with your doctor and your nutritionist.