The GM diet is a great diet for people who have mobility issues. Granted, you may lose weight a little more efficiently if you have an exercise routine, but the diet works regardless of your activity levels. People report losing between 3 to 15 pounds in the week of the diet and often another 1 or 2 pounds in the two weeks after the diet.
It is a great diet for anyone who does not like counting calories, but as with any diet, you should discuss it with your doctor before starting a diet.
The diet was supposedly developed in the 1980’s for General Motors employees. It is not just a weight loss diet, it detoxifies the body, rebalances hormone levels, and increases energy levels,
The diet is for only 7 days at a time. Some people like to go on the diet once a month, and only occasionally, twice a month. There must be at least 2 weeks between ending the diet and starting it again. This gives your body time to adjust and energize before going through another detox. One of the great things about this diet is that you do not just lose weight while on the diet, but many people continue to lose one or two pounds during the next two weeks after the diet is over.
The diet mainly consists of keeping hydrated and eating fruits, vegetables and the “wonder soup”… lean meat or a vegetarian equivalent, is allowed on the last days of the diet.
If you research this diet, you will see every site you go on will have “their own spin” on what is acceptable. In truth, it is a very flexible, easy to live with diet.
Here are some tips on what the diet is and what you can do for the best results.
- Diet Sense–You must keep yourself hydrated. Drink the required ten glasses of water daily (80 ounces), but never drink an excessive amount at one time. a 16 ounce bottle of water per meal and another 8 ounces with 3 snacks per day, plus 8 ounces an hour or so before bedtime is an easy way to figure your water intake being around 10 cups ( 80 ounces). Do not drink more than 16 ounces at one time.
- Use only stevia for sweetening.
- Do not use hydrating drinks such as Propel during the diet, because you are to avoid potassium.
- You can drink tea, but green tea is best for many reasons. I personally like to make one cup of green tea and let it set for about 5 to 10 minutes to get the full strength. I then pour this into a 2 quart container, fill with water and add sweetener. This can easily be taken on the go by pouring the tea into empty purified water bottles.
- You can drink a little coffee (without milk or cream), but decaf would be less apt to mess with your blood sugar levels.
- One of the best drinks to use during this week is freshly squeezed lemon and water (you can add stevia if you wish to).
- I like to wash and rinse some lemons, then cut each one into about 8 pieces and place into a container and keep in the refrigerator until needed. This makes it easy to get a squeeze of lemon for a drink or to squeeze lemon over a salad.
- Where the diet calls for skim milk, you can substitute with almond milk or coconut milk.
- Anytime you feel tempted to go off the diet, eat the wonder soup.
- You can eat the wonder soup on all of the 7 days, but most people do not start it until the second day.
- Do not substitute the meat on the diet with meats from sandwich shops and deli. They add extra salt and other undesirables to make it more palatable.
- In a pinch…when you are really craving something of the “junk food type” (and it is a matter of blowing the diet) you can have one or two cups of plain popcorn (no salt or butter)…(I personally never do more than one cup and only once during the diet. But better to eat two cups than blow the diet.)
- Do not attempt to do the diet during the time of your menstrual cycle…that is just too much stress on the body at one time.
- On the day before starting the diet, make a point of eating complex starchy foods such as potatoes, oats and bananas.
- try to eat every two hours.
- GM Wonder Soup. The wonder soup is a very essential part of the diet. Most people start it on day two. Be sure to eat some every day. Make a big batch of it on day 2 and refrigerate. This should last through most of the diet, but if not, just make more.
- toward the end of the diet, some people suffer with a headache. One of these suggestions may help you: Keep your blood sugar up by eating often, keep yourself hydrated, do not drink over 16 ounces water at any one time, get a good night’s sleep.
Wonder Soup Ingredients:
- Cabbage – 1 head
- Celery – 1 bunch
- Onions – 6 large onions
- Green Peppers – 2
- Garlic cloves – 6 sliced or chopped
- Frozen corn –16 ounce bag (optional)
- Tomatoes – 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounce)
- Diced Tomatoes – l can diced tomatoes (28 ounce)
- Stevia – 2 or 3pkts
- Water – as needed
- Chop cabbage and rinse well. Add this to large stock pot. Add enough water to just cover the cabbage and turn on burner to high setting. Reduce to a simmer and cover with lid once it comes to a boil.
- Chop the onions, celery, garlic cloves and green peppers and add to the cabbage (corn added at this time also). Add enough water to just cover the vegetables completely.
- Bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer until everything is tender. The cabbage is best if let to cook about 2 to 3 hours…or very tender.
- When vegetables are tender, add the two cans of tomatoes. Simmer soup on low until it is hot through (stir often). Stir in stevia. Remove from heat.
The wonder soup can be eaten in unlimited quantities and is a real delight to eat. Anytime you find yourself hungry on any day of the GM Diet, the wonder soup is the way to go. Make sufficient quantities so that when hunger pangs hit you, you have something you can quickly warm up and eat.
The GM Diet wonder soup is very tasty; you will find yourself eating this even when you are not on a diet.
Day 1 GM Diet
Fruits for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. For breakfast on this first day, eating melons as the main fruit gives the best weight loss results. During your day, include a wide variety of fruits such as: watermelon, honeydew, raw papaya, cantaloupe (muskmelon), kiwi, apples, oranges etc. Eat all the fruit you want. Between meals, eat a fruit snack every two hours. (Do NOT eat any high potassium fruits such as bananas today.)
Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water, water/lemon, green tea etc. Sweeten only with stevia.
Day 2 GM Diet
On this day, you can eat all the vegetables you want. (this does not include beans of any kind). (for best results, do not use carrots because of their high potassium content.)
- you get a large baked potato (or sweet potato) for breakfast only (so make sure it is a large one)…no sugar added.
- You can have a pat of butter or level tablespoon of olive oil on the potato.
- I like to fry a diced onion with some diced green pepper in the oil over medium heat until the onion is just softened. Then I pour this over the potato.
- Salads can be topped with a sprinkle of freshly squeezed lemon and stevia or vinegar and stevia (if you use olive oil, do not use over a tablespoon).
- There is such a large variety of raw vegetables that taste great in a leafy salad or just as snacks. Celery, red cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, onion…
- You can add a squeeze of lemon over veggies for extra flavor.
- I make containers of each kind of vegetable chopped up and ready to use during the day.
You can eat the GM Wonder soup for dinner or any time you wish to eat it and as often as you wish to eat it.
Day 3 GM Diet
On this third day you can eat a variety of fruits and vegetables (NO potatoes) (NO bananas) (NO beans) (exclude or limit carrots)
- You can start your day with a fruit for breakfast,
- a salad for lunch, snacks can vary between vegetable snacks to fruit snacks, but eat every two hours.
- You can have a vegetable stir-fry using a tablespoon of olive oil for dinner.
- Remember to eat the GM Wonder soup whenever you want it.
Day 4 GM Diet
This is a very interesting day. today you can have 6 to 8 bananas and three glasses of skim milk or almond milk.
- Breakfast can be a banana and one cup of milk. This is much more satisfying as a smoothie because you get the full benefit of the banana’s nutrients this way (you can add a cup of ice to the smoothie if you wish).
- You will eat the wonder soup for lunch and dinner…or whenever you want it.
Day 5 GM Diet
Today you can eat beef, tomatoes and wonder soup. (Skinless chicken breast can also be used to replace the beef.)
For vegetarians substitute meats with red kidney beans, tofu or one cup white rice per meal. These can be eaten separately or added to the wonder stew. Make sure to consume the 6 tomatoes during the day. No snacks except for wonder stew if you get hungry.
- Drink two extra 16 ounce bottles of water today to prevent buildup of uric acid. (the easiest way to do this is to drink one 16 oz. water when you first wake up and another 16 oz. bottle a couple of hours after dinner)
- It is recommended to eat braised beef with soup for breakfast.
- It is recommended to eat a 10 ounce beef patty for lunch and for dinner. (NO bread and NO mayonnaise). The beef should be baked or broiled with no fats added.
- You are supposed to eat 6 large tomatoes throughout the day along with the beef.
If you do not wish to eat this much beef, you can cook 1 pound of 90% lean ground beef with chopped onions in a large skillet and saute until meat is well browned (no oil needed). Add 1 cup of water into the pan with the fried beef and stir in a can of red kidney beans. Simmer until beans are tender. Add the contents of the skillet to a large pot. Add about 5 or 6 large chopped tomatoes and simmer until hot through. Add about 4 cups of the wonder stew. You can eat this for meals and wonder soup for snacks all through the day.
Day 6 GM Diet
Today you can have beef and any vegetables (NO potatoes) and (NO bread) (exclude or limit carrots)
- Breakfast can be mixed vegetables (raw, sautéed or stewed), wonder stew and beef cutlets.
- Lunch can be mixed vegetables and beef (such as Asian cooking)
- Dinner can be hamburger patty (no bread) and vegetables stir-fried or stewed.
- eat lots of tomatoes today also.
Day 7 GM Diet
NO meat today. today you can have white rice, fruits (NO banana), and vegetables (NO potatoes) (NO beans)
- Consume a bowl of white rice (1 cup) with each meal.
- For breakfast, have fruit with rice.
- For lunch, have vegetables with rice.
- For dinner, greens with white rice.
- Wonder soup as needed.
- For snacks, have fruit or vegetables.
When eating vegetables with the rice, you may want to try frying chopped onions and green peppers for a topping. You can do this with any other vegetables also, but do not exceed the one tablespoon of oil.
– See more at: http://www.fibrozone.com/fibromyalgia/fibromyalgiablog/autoimmune/cfs/rheumatoidarthritis/sjogrens/lupus/#sthash.y1FfCm3e.dpuf